A Parent's Pledge: Ten Basic Rules for Teaching and Living Respectful Lives
- That RESPECT will be the basic rule in our house—parent to parent, child to child, parent to child and child to parent.
- To teach my children that loving and respecting self is the first step in loving and respecting others.
- To teach my children to RESPECT their bodies, and how to honor, feed, exercise and care for them.
- To RESPECT my children's basic need for structure and boundaries, as well as consistency in words, actions and decisions, which builds a sense of trust and security they can take out into the world.
- That as the authority figure I will say no when appropriate, and when necessary seek outside professional help.
- To honor my children"s emotions and to teach them that anger, fear and sadness are important messages, and that they need to learn to use words to express their feelings.
- To practice what I want my children to learn—honesty, integrity, truth, morality, compassion, forgiveness and loving kindness.
- To teach my children RESPECT for nature, the Earth, for all living things, and for the beliefs, boundaries and religions of others.
- To provide a safe environment for my children; one in which they can learn to love and be loved healthfully, and to honor, respect and love themselves.
- To Love and cherish my children for who they are, as this provides the foundation that will allow them to survive and thrive in life.
"To Love and cherish my children for who they are, as this provides the foundation that will allow them to survive and thrive in life."